Thursday, July 26, 2018

Summer Backlog Diary #4: Fanning the Flame

It's time for another Summer Backlog Diary! Firstly, some news on the next video - I have my Journey review all written so I just need some time to put the video together. I'm hoping to have it posted either on Sunday afternoon or Sunday morning, so please look out for it! My usual Tuesday slot will be taken up by Covertape Chaos #49 this week.  That series will be going on a break after episode 50 though so that will free me up to focus on some other things. I plan to finish off PS2 Tuesdays season 5 and then get back to the A-Z of Amiga, among other things.

Until then though, I am now part way through both Battle Chasers: Nightwar and Pyre, so I thought I would share my initial thoughts with you. Battle Chasers is a blend of classic turned based JRPG style game play, with the aesthetics of the Darksiders series. You have some fantastic Joe Mad artwork and lovely tunes composed by Jesper Kyd to enjoy as you explore the dungeons, which are in part randomly generated each time you run them. I was making steady progress until I completed the third dungeon, then I encountered something of a difficulty spike which put me off playing for a while.  The game fully expects you to revisit dungeons you've already completed and do them on a higher difficulty for better rewards.  It is also one of those RPG's where your spare party members don't earn any XP if you don't use them in battle, so you will end up having to grind with them to match the rest of your party eventually.  I'm not really a fan of this.  The story is surprisingly decent though, and it makes me want to seek out the comics.  I wonder how easy they are to get hold of these days? I'll get back to you on that.

It's been a while since I last played Pyre now but I really must get back to it.  When I started it I was completely blown away by the amazing art and music, and the game play is truly something unique as well.  It blends RPG elements with a Oregon Trail style mechanics where you choose where to go next from several options on the map, and then a fantasy sport which is reminiscent of NBA Jam! I am still unlocking characters for my squad at the moment - though you can only take three people into each Rite you will build up quite a roster to choose from, many of whom have unique abilities based on their race.  The sport part of the game hasn't been terribly challenging so far - I've played 6 or so matches and haven't lost one yet, though I did come close several times. I tend to favour the smaller characters who can zip around the map, though it is important to have a big guy on your team as while to defend your flame.  Apparently the game will proceed whether you win or lose the Rites, though I'm guessing that will affect the ending. I'm enjoying it a lot so I definitely want to try and get back to it soon - probably this weekend.

So I'm now pretty close to completing five games and passing the challenge, but that's just the bare minimum requirement, so I'm not going to stop there.  Time is moving way faster than I had anticipated so I'm not sure that I will get through all ten games, but I will do my best. If there are any games left unfinished at the end, I will either just carry on until I've finished them as well, but not consider it part of the Summer Backlog Challenge anymore, or I will put them on the list for next year and prioritise them first. I do have a desire to play some Odin Sphere though so I'm not sure I can wait until next summer for that. That's all I have to say for today, don't forget to check back for my Journey review over the weekend.  In the meantime, take care!

1 comment:

HDSnoopy said...

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Journey.